It is possible to rejoice beautiful and healthy smile for a long time if a patient properly maintains his teeth and regularly visits dentist for routine check up and a professional oral hygiene.
When you are cleaning your teeth, you do not always manage to reach into every nook and cranny. So if you are not visiting your dentist regularly, this plaque will build up and cause you much more significant problems in the future. These problems can include tooth decay, cavities and gum disease.
Professional oral hygiene treatment tries to prevent the progress of all types of dental disease. Our dentist will do this by employing a number of techniques:
1. Treatment of gingivitis (swollen bleeding gums) by scaling and polishing.
2. Treatment of periodontal disease (more advanced gum disease) by deep cleaning techniques.
3. Diet advice suitable for your requirements and lifestyle.
4. Oral hygiene instruction tailored to your needs.
5. Application of fluoride and other strengthening agents to the teeth.
6. Removal of surface stains and unsightly marks from the surfaces of your teeth.
How are teeth cleaned?
- Firstly, a ultrasound scaler is used to knock larger pieces of calculus loose.
- Secondly, Air-Flow- a strong stream quickly and painlessly removes the accumulated plaque and nicotine, coffee and tea stains ‘stains’ from enamel, and thus it has the advantage that it also whitens the teeth.
- After the plaque and calculus have been removed, the teeth are polished.
How often do I need this procedure?
The frequency of professional oral hygiene procedures are different and depends on:
- The quality of the patient’s personal oral hygiene
- Intensity of calculus accumulation
- Plaque retention conditions
Given these factors, it is advisable to visit a professional oral hygiene specialist for this procedure one to four times a year.
In fact, good oral hygiene is indeed your cheapest dentist!